International Graduate Student Procedures


An international (foreign) student is any student attending Eastern New Mexico University on a nonimmigrant visa. Legally admitted immigrants and refugees are not classified as international students.


  1. International students are required to be full-time students at Eastern New Mexico University-Portales. Admission does not apply to any branch campus of ENMU.
  2. The applicant's file will be evaluated and considered for admission when the following have been received:
    • Application for Admission
    • Student must indicate desired major in a specific field in the degree program portion of the application.
    • Financial statement (see financial section which follows)
    • TOEFL minimum score of 79 (iBT) or 550 (written test) or complete the highest level of an intensive English program for admission.
    • Official results of a professional independent transcript evaluation service of all post-secondary course work. No hand-carried documents will be accepted.


  1. The applicant must complete a financial support form and return with the signed application.
  2. The approximate cost of attending Eastern New Mexico University is as follows:

*Subject to change.

English Proficiency Requirements

  1. All international students must meet English proficiency requirements to be admitted to the University. These requirements may be met by one of the following:
    • TOEFL minimum score of 79 (iBT) or 550 (written test)
    • Complete the highest level of an approved intensive English program (report must be on file before student is allowed to register).
  2. An English proficiency examination will be given to all incoming international students, with the following exceptions:
    • Graduate students who received their baccalaureate degree from a college or university in the United States.
    • International students who speak English as their native language.
    • Transfer students with minimum transfer course work from other U.S. colleges:
    • Graduate students–at least nine hours of transfer credit;
    • Undergraduate students–at least 30 hours of transfer credit.
  3. Upon recommendation of the authorized person designated by the Coordination Committee for International Students.
  4. Based upon the results of the aforementioned English Proficiency examination, students may be required to enroll in three to six hours of English as a Second Language course work their first semester at ENMU.

Pertinent Immigration and Naturalization Service Regulations:

  1. All F-1 students must maintain full-time student status for both the fall and spring semesters. This requires completion of nine credit hours per semester for graduates. Any deviation from this must be approved by the International Student Advisor.
  2. International students may not work off-campus. On-campus employment is permitted under certain conditions.
  3. It is important to keep in mind that the signature you use for all records while you are in the United States should be the same as the one you use in your passport.

Apply online or contact us to obtain an application:
Graduate School
ENMU Station 24
1500 S Ave K
Portales, NM 88130